This tour is not offered this year. A variety of other spectacular train tours in Switzerland are currently available for travel.
This fully escorted 10 day tour takes you to Switzerland's most scenic destination. Enjoy Bern, Lausanne, Lucerne, Ticino and St. Moritz.
- Switzerland, with its majestic, snow-capped Alps, lush green mountain valleys, storybook towns, and fine dining awaits you on this delightful spring tour. Swiss cities are splendid, possessing architectural treasures, priceless museum collections, and thoroughly enchanting old towns.
- Romantic Bern with its medieval charm is the modern capital of this very neutral European country. Most Swiss cities and attractions are easily accessible from Bern by fast, comfortable, first class express trains.
- On this carefree tour, you can enjoy much of Switzerland’s natural beauty, taking day tours by train, while staying in only one hotel.
- A final night in the Zurich area lets you experience Switzerland’s largest city before boarding the return flight to North America.
- Tour members receive a Swiss Pass or Swiss Saverpass for eight days of unlimited first class rides on most of the Swiss train system. This pass is also good for admission to museums and is valid on buses and city trolleys. The pass will allow you maximum mobility to take day trips with your Tour Director or explore on your own.
- Travel to and from Europe features Continental Airlines trans-Atlantic flights.
- *NOTE: Tour members must be able to walk reasonable distances and use stairs to access trains.
- Round trip air transportation between Newark and Zurich.
- Eight day pass for travel on the Swiss Rail System for all the day train excursions, lake steamer cruise and other transportation provided as part of this itinerary.
- Three star hotel accommodations for eight nights with private bath (seven in Bern and one night near Zurich).
- 11 meals.
- Bern walking tour with a local guide and admission to the city’s medieval Clock Tower and other featured attractions.
- Complementary local transportation, attraction and museum admissions using the eight day Swiss Pass or Saverpass.
- Baggage handling from your arrival flight to the hotel and from the hotel back to the Zurich Airport. Passengers must check their own baggage onto their return flight. Limit one bag per person.
- Services of a professional America by Rail Tour Director who will handle all the details and assist you in getting the most out of your experience in Switzerland. Tour members will meet their Tour Director at the Newark, New Jersey International Air Terminal. The Tour Director remains with the group until the return to Newark
Day 1: En Route Europe
Your European holiday begins at the Newark Liberty Airport (NJ). Here you will meet your Tour Director and other members of the tour party. Continental Airlines offers convenient connecting flights from many North American cities. The America By Rail Staff will be pleased to assist you in booking connecting flights or other transportation to Newark Airport. Checked tour luggage will be handled for you from your departure airport through to your Bern Hotel.
On the overnight Continental Airlines Trans-Atlantic flight to Europe you can sit back, relax and enjoy the cabin service. A dinner meal will be served on the flight. (D)
Day 2: Zurich
This morning you arrive at Zurich International Airport. A first class express train transfers you from the airport directly to Bern. It is just a short walk from the railway station to your hotel. The three star Hotel Kreuz in the heart of the Swiss capital, is your home for the next seven nights. Bern is an ancient, medieval city with all of the conveniences of a modern metropolis. Built between the 12th and 18th Centuries, it is still a fine old city of bygone days. It lies in the heart of Switzerland at the foot of the Alps, and is often called one of the loveliest cities in the world. Four miles of arcaded sidewalks in the central business district allow you to stroll and shop with little concern for the weather.
The balance of the day is at leisure to let you relax and adjust to European time.
Day 3: Bern
A Buffet Breakfast is included at the hotel each day while in Bern. You will become acquainted with Bern on a morning walking tour of the “Old Town” District. Highlights will include the City Hall, the Houses of Parliament, the late Gothic Muenster Cathedral and the historic fountains. Visit the medieval Clock Tower and have an explanation of the astronomical clock with playing figures which dates from 1530.
There will be free time in the afternoon for more personal exploring in “Old Town,” for museum visits or optional sightseeing. This evening join your tour members for dinner at a nearby restaurant. (B, D)
Day 4: Lausanne
This morning walk to the railway station with your Tour Director to take your first of five day train excursions into the Swiss countryside. Each day a different train trip destination will be offered for your pleasure. You will have time to browse, shop and purchase lunch before the afternoon return to Bern. You also have the option of taking a day at leisure in Bern if you wish.
French speaking Switzerland is featured on your trip today. Enjoy panoramic vistas during a mountain railroad ride to the city of Montreux. Here you change trains and follow the shore of Lake Geneva to the city of Lausanne. Considered the Olympic Capital and a city of sports, Lausanne offers many interesting attractions. Stroll through the city’s historic district, visit the picturesque lakefront port area and sample the fare at one of Lausanne’s many restaurants. Return to Bern on an afternoon express train.
Entertainment and dining options will be available every night in Bern. Tour members will be able to participate in a host evening activities which will be coordinated by your Tour Director. Depending on the interest of the group, these events might include dinner at a quaint wine cellar, a visit to the city’s casino to try your luck or watch the action, or a local restaurant in the center of town. (B)
Day 5: Lucerne
Lucerne in the heart of Switzerland is your destination. The narrow gauge Bruenig train from Interlaken offers views of shimmering lakes and the towering Alps. It stops at Meiringen (famous in the Sherlock Holmes legend), before climbing steep grades over the mountains to Lucerne. More spectacular scenery awaits from the noon cruise on the Lake of Lucerne. Later walk across Lucerne’s historic Chapel Bridge and visit the “Old Town” District before returning to Bern. (B)
Day 6: Alpine Tunnels/Ticino
A full day is scheduled on a circle trip to the Ticino region where Italian is spoken. The train climbs into the Alps, goes through the great Lotschberg and Simplon Tunnels and traverses Northern Italy. This route offers many spectacular panoramas. You have a mid-day lay-over at the delightful city of Locarno on the shore of Lake Maggiore . The afternoon return trip uses a different Alpine route which passes through the Gotthard Tunnel to Lucerne. (B)
Day 7: St. Moritz
You are headed for the charming resort village of St. Moritz. Travel will be by fast intercity and mountain narrow gauge trains. Impressive engineering and imposing structures were required to carry scenic Albula Railway track through the mountains. The cities of Zurich and Chur are on this route. Arrival back in Bern is scheduled for early evening. (B)
Day 8: Alpine Wonderland
Three majestic Alpine peaks, the Jungfrau,
Monch and Eiger, tower over the tourist village
of Grindelwald. This is the destination of
today’s excursion. From Grindelwald you
may choose to take the optional train trip to
Jungfraujoch at 12,500 feet elevation, the
highest railway station in Europe. (There is
an extra charge for the Jungfraujoch train of
about $100 per person using the Swiss Pass
25% discount.) (B)
Day 9: Zurich
You leave Bern late this morning, walking to
the railroad station to catch a train to the
Zurich Airport. Home for the night will
be at the conveniently located Hotel Fly-Away
near the airport and railway station. This afternoon
and evening you will have an opportunity
to explore the cosmopolitan city of
Zurich just a few minutes away from the
Day 10: En Route
The wonderful visit to charming Switzerland
comes to an end. After a buffet breakfast at
your hotel you’ll transfer to the Zurich Airport.
trans-Atlantic flight back to North America.
An early afternoon arrival at Newark concludes
your Swiss Wonderland
by Train Tour. (Lunch will be served on
the flight). (B, L)