Situated between the Andes mountains and the Pacific Ocean, Chile stretches 2604 miles encompassing impressive geographical contrasts. From the world's driest desert, beautiful coastlines and ski slopes in the far north of the country to the thousand year old glaciers of Patagonia in the south.
You are invited to discover the highlights of this romantic South American country travelling 1000 miles on board the nostalgic, twenties style carriages of TransPacífico. Come and experience the nostalgia of the golden days of Chile´s railway in style and comfort.
Enjoy the regional culinary specialities, taste the award winning wine and learn about the Mapuche Indians. Vist the UNESCO World Heritage town of Valparaiso which is also the home of Nobel Prize Winner, Pablo Neruda. Come and be seduced by the fresh ocean breeze from the Pacific Ocean and sample some of the best seafood Chile has to offer.
- Santa Cruz: Todays tour will take you along the famous wine route getting to know the main vineyards of the Colchagua valley. During the ride, you will enjoy interesting talks on Chilean vine and grapes, and be treated to an exquisite wine tasting of red and white wines accompanied by a selection of assorted cheeses while listening to a typical Chilean folk musician. In the afternoon you are invited to visit the Colchagua Museum which is one of the largest private collections of a wide variety of exhibits in Latin America.
- Lota: You are taken to the Enacar coal mine museum which takes you underneath the sea. There are only two examples of this spectacular type of museum in the whole world. After passing a beautiful park area you will stroll through a lively and colourful fish market.
- Pucón: Pucón is a small town nestled against the Villarrica volcano, on the shores of lake Villarrica. You can relax in the volcanic hot springs, walk across the glacier to the rim of an active volcano, or explore one of the dozens of protected national forest. In the evening you are invited for dinner to a “Ruca” – a typical home of the Mapuche Indians.
- Valdivia: Valdivia is one of the most charming cities in Chile. This is a place with plenty of history, anecdotes and legends for those that once dreamed of being pirates or captains of a Spanish galleon. You travel on a boat around the channels on a tour from Valdivia to the forts of Corral, Mancera and Niebla. For dinner you are invited to a little island called Isla Huapi. While tasting the culinary specialities of the area, the islands owner Don Victor Herrero will provide you with interesting information and facts about the immigrants of the island.
- Puerto Varas: One of the most scenic and spectacular routes in South America. The story begins in 1913 when a group of tourists crossed the Andes Mountains through a frontier pass, joining Peulla on the Chilean side with Bariloche in Argentina. This is an ecological adventure not to be missed. You will have the chance of sailing four different turquoise lakes - Llanquihue, Todos los Santos, Fríasand and Nahuel Huapí. With sleek catamaran ferries and a fleet of colourful buses you complete the 117-mile journey between Puerto Varas, Chile, and the ski resort of Bariloche, Argentina, in a leisurely eight hours.
- Chiloé: A town famous for its mysticism and unique folklore. On your visit to Chiloé you experience the hospitality and rural lifestyle the island is known for. Most of the archipelago‘s population are subsistence farmers or fishermen.
- Local English speaking guide
- 8 nights accommodation in TransPacifico and 3 nights accommodation in 4-star hotel
- Entry fees for sights mentioned in itinerary
- All events on TransPacifico as mentioned in itinerary
- Flight tickets are not included - Train operates with min. 34 pax
- 27 Meals
Day 1 Santiago – Valparaiso (D)
We start our journey towards the Pacific coast. Gala Dinner and slide show in the train (75 train-miles)
Day 2 Valparaíso – San Fernando (B, L, D)
City Tour in UNESCO World Heritage town of Valparaiso and Vina del Mar. Experience the century-old, clickety-clack ascensores and learn about Nobel Prize winner Pablo Neruda. (160 train-miles)
Day 3 San Fernando - Santa Cruz (B, L, D, Hotel)
The Wine Train will take you to the main wine regions of Chile in the Santa Cruz area. You will visit vineyards and taste the award winning wine, see the most complete private collection of pre Columbian art in the museum of Colchagua. Dinner party on a vineyard. (40 train-miles)
Day 4 Santa Cruz - San Rosendo (B, L, D)
Introduction to golden days of Chilean Railway in nicely decorated ancient railway station. Barbecue and folkloric dancing next to river Bio Bio. (250 train-miles)
Day 5 San Rosendo - Concepción – Lota - Victoria (B, L, D)
ENACAR coal mine and minery museum, stroll through park and enjoy minery dinner (205 miles in train)
Day 6 Victoria – Loncoche - Pucón (B, L, Hotel)
Welcome to the Araukania, main region of Mapuche Indians. Great welcome picnic and transfer to Pucón. (118 miles in train)
Day 7 Pucón (B, D, Hotel)
Enjoy an optional excursion to close by national parks or just relax on lake Villarrica or enjoy a bath at the hot volcano springs or go for mountain walks. Dinner in a Ruca, typical home of Mapuche.
Day 8 Pucón – Lonchoche - Valdivia (B, L, D)
CityTour and visit to the fords of Corral. Cruise on the river and enjoy dinner on the small private island called Isla Huapi. (87 miles in train)
Day 9 Valdivia - Puerto Varas (B, L, D)
In the morning you can visit a craft market of local artists. In the train you can join talks and slide shows about the mystic Island Chiloé. Dinner at the harbour of Puerto Varas. (143 miles in train)
Day 10 Puerto Varas (B)
Optional excursions: Half day to Frutillar, full lady lake Llanquihue with visit to vulcano or visits to Puerto Varas or Puerto Montt are further options.
Day 11 Puerto Varas (B, D)
Farewell dinner. Optional excursión Chiloé (L): Full day to mystical Island of Chiloé, you see wooden chapels and oyster farms.
Day 12 Puerto Varas (B)
Transfer Out. Optional excursión Cruce de Lagos: Via catamaran and busses you cross four lakes and in the evening you reach the famous ski resort Bariloche in Argentina.