Independent Amtrak Tours
Escorted Amtrak Tours
New England and Autumn Tours
Winter Escapes on Amtrak
Call 877-929-7245 today to book your vacation on Amtrak.
For the safety and comfort of our passengers, Amtrak strictly enforces the baggage limits stated in the guidelines below. We encourage all passengers to read these guidelines when making travel plans.
Guidelines for Carry-On Baggage
The following guidelines apply to baggage you bring onboard with you as carry-on baggage:
- Two-Piece Limit: Each passenger may bring aboard no more than two pieces of carry-on baggage. Not included in this limit are personal items such as briefcases, purses, laptops, and infant paraphernalia such as strollers, diaper bags and car seats.
- 50-Pound Limit: Each carry-on bag may weigh no more than 50 lbs.
- Size Limit: Each carry-on bag may not exceed 28x22x14 inches in size.
- Visible Tag Required: Each carry-on bag must be visibly tagged with the name and address of the passenger. Passengers may use their own personal identification tags, or may obtain Amtrak baggage identification tags at station ticket offices, or onboard trains from a member of the train crew.
Guidelines for Checked Baggage
The following guidelines apply to baggage you check, and which is stored in separate baggage storage areas on a train:
- Three-Piece Limit: Each ticketed passenger may check up to three pieces of luggage at no charge. Up to three additional pieces may be checked upon payment of $10.00 per piece.
- 50-Pound Limit: Each checked bag may weigh no more than 50 lbs. Amtrak will not accept heavier pieces.
- Size Limit: Each checked bag may not exceed 36x36x36 inches in size.
- Suitable Bags: Please be sure to pack your baggage using sturdy luggage or containers that are capable of withstanding expected handling. Please note that we do not accept plastic storage containers, lightweight suit bags, and other similar items as checked baggage.
- Baggage Tags: Attach your name and address to each item. Free identification tags are available at stations or from crew members, or you may use your own.
- Where Available: Checked baggage service is available at many stations and on many trains and Amtrak Thruway buses throughout the country. See individual station pages on this site, available from the 'Stations' section, for more information.
- Check-In Time: Please check all baggage at least 30 minutes prior to departure, and longer for special items. Baggage checked less than 30 minutes prior to departure may be delayed.
- Claiming Checked Baggage: Checked Baggage will be available for claiming generally within 30 minutes of arrival. However, some items may require additional handling and therefore may take up to 60 minutes. Be prepared to identify your baggage by the claim check numbers. Storage charges apply to baggage not claimed within two days of arrival.
- ID Required: To check baggage, you must have a valid photo ID. For more information about ID requirements, please see our Passenger Security and ID page.
- Special Items: Amtrak accepts a number of special items such as baby strollers, bicycles, golf bags, musical instruments, and skis (one set per bag/container). In most cases there is a handling charge of $5.00 per special item.
The following kinds of items are prohibited as both checked and carry-on baggage:
- Any type of gun, firearm, ammunition, explosives, or weapon.
- Incendiaries, including flammable gases, liquids and fuels.
- Large, sharp objects such as axes, ice picks and swords.
- Corrosive or dangerous chemicals or materials, such as liquid bleach, tear gas, mace, radioactive and harmful bacteriological materials.
- Batteries with acid that can spill or leak (except those batteries used in motorized wheelchairs or similar devices for mobility-impaired passengers).
- Club-like items, such as billy clubs and nightsticks.
- Fragile and/or valuable items, including but not limited to electronic equipment. (Laptop computers and handheld devices may be carried onboard; however, Amtrak accepts no liability for damage.)
- Animals (except service animals).
- Oversized and/or overweight items.
Please note: This is not an exhaustive list. Any item similar to those listed, even if not specifically mentioned here, is prohibited from being carried onboard or checked as baggage.
Damaged, Lost or Delayed Baggage and Limitation of Liability
Amtrak disclaims liability for carry-on baggage, even if Amtrak personnel has handled or assisted in loading or unloading the baggage.
Claims for lost checked baggage must be submitted within 30 days of arrival at your destination station. For best results, submit the claim at your destination station; otherwise call Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) and ask for Customer Relations.
Claims for damaged or delayed checked baggage or for a concealed loss (pilferage) within checked baggage must be submitted immediately at your destination station. Amtrak disclaims liability for pilferage for unsecured baggage, such as baggage that does not have a lock, seal or other device that protects the bag from unauthorized entry, and for articles placed in an unlocked or unsecured exterior baggage compartment.
Amtrak liability for checked baggage is limited to a maximum of $500 per ticketed passenger. Passengers may declare additional valuation up to $2,500 upon payment of the applicable charge.
Send This Page To a Friend