Amtrak has undertaken heightened security measures for the benefit of its customers.
Valid Photo Identification Required
Photo ID Required
Amtrak customers 18 years of age and older must produce valid photo identification when:
- Obtaining, exchanging, and refunding tickets
- Storing baggage at stations
- Checking baggage
- Sending Amtrak Express shipments
- Onboard trains, in response to a request by an Amtrak employee
Please note that unaccompanied children 15 and older must also produce valid photo ID when purchasing tickets.
Random Ticket/ID Checks
Following federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) guidelines, we regularly conduct random ticket verification checks onboard trains to ensure that passengers are properly ticketed. Please be prepared to show valid photo identification to a member of the onboard crew upon request.
What is a Valid ID?
To be valid, your identification must be current and in-force. The following forms of identification are acceptable for persons 18 and older:
- One piece of photo identification issued by a government authority, or
- Two pieces of identification, at least one of which is a non-photo ID issued by a government authority
Examples of acceptable forms of ID include:
- State or provincial driver's license
- Official government-issued identification (federal, state or county government or legitimate foreign government)
- Canadian provincial health card ID card with photo
- Military photo ID
- Student identification (university, college or high school photo ID)
- Job Corps photo ID
For the safety and comfort of our passengers, we strictly enforce the following baggage limits:
- Checked bags: three bags maximum
- Carry-on bags: two bags maximum
For more information, please see Amtrak's baggage guidelines page.
US/Canadian Border Crossing
If your trip involves travel across the US/Canadian border, please review our Border Crossing page for important information.