Independent Amtrak Tours
Escorted Amtrak Tours
New England and Autumn Tours
Winter Escapes on Amtrak
This tour is not offered this year. A variety of other spectacular train tours and vacations are currently available for travel.
All aboard the Empire Builder for Glacier National Park. Then sail from seattle By ocean liner for the glacier’s of Alaska. The ultimate adventure to America’s last frontier... All Aboard!
One of the few places in North America that is more glorious than Glacier National Park, Montana is the stunning Inside Passage of Alaska and on a Glacier to Glacier Holiday, you get both. Tour members get a visual and moveable feast that includes in one relaxed and elegant holiday the Going to the Sun Highway, Lake McDonald, the Continental Divide and awe-inspiring Glacier Bay National Park!
Rarely has one holiday included as much natural beauty, mile for mile, as this program and every feature is wonderful. By any measure, the Empire Builder is currently the best long-distance train in the United States. The Norwegian Pearl is one of the newest ships afloat with state of the art amenities not found on any other cruise ship and while in Glacier Park, every single sightseeing excursion is included.
Nicer still, our guests enjoy two full nights at Glacier Park, in the grand mountain lodges built originally by the Great Northern Railroad, making this the ultimate National Park experience. This holiday is fully-escorted and offers Glacier National Park at a magical time of the year when days are warm, crowds diminished and wildlife abundant.
The Inside Passage in June and September is generally ideal too, with less fog and far fewer visitors than the peak summer season. This magical journey to some of the prettiest places on earth has just one major flaw: it will sell out quickly so prompt reservations are strongly encouraged.
- Travel from any midwest point to Glacier National Park, Montana aboard the famed Empire Builder, an overnight passage on this comfortable train, complete with full Dining car and Sightseer Lounge car!
- Two-night stay in Glacier National Park at the famed Glacier Park Lodge, a grand historic hotel built by the Great Northern Railroad with welcome reception and all taxes.
- Complete sightseeing while in Glacier National Park including Many Glacier, Two Medicine Lake, the storied 'Going to the Sun' Highway over the Continental Divide and Lake MacDonald boat cruise. Our sightseeing is in the famed red open-air 'jammer buses', the best way to see Glacier Park.
- Travel from Glacier National Park to Seattle aboard the Empire Builder train, a short scenic overnight trip via the Burlington Northern Railroad.
- Overnight hotel stay in Seattle at the superb Mayflower Park Hotel in the heart of downtown Seattle. Due to the train schedule, our guests have a full day and a half to enjoy 'The Emerald City' before we set sail for Alaska.
- Welcome dinner in Seattle at the renowned Ivar's Acres of Clams Restaurant overlooking Elliott Bay.
- Seven-night Alaska Inside Passage round-trip cruise from Seattle aboard the new Norwegian Pearl visiting Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria, British Columbia en route. Guests opting to sail aboard the stylish Westerdam of Holland America Line will visit Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, Glacier Bay National Park and Victoria, British Columbia.
- Luxury amenities aboard ship including welcome cocktail party, dinner in the Grill Room one evening, welcome wine and much more.
Day 1: EmpireBuilder
Guests leave Chicago and mid-West points bound for Glacier National Park, Montana aboard the famed Empire Builder train.
Day 2 - Glacier National Park
Arrive in Glacier National Park aboard the Empire Builder! Tonight, the train stops right at our hotel, the historic Glacier Park Lodge, built by the Great Northern Railroad and the largest log building in the World. Overnight at Glacier Park Lodge.
Day 3 - Glacier National Park
Today we travel to seldom visited Two Medicine Valley and Lake, Looking Glass Hill, Many Glacier and St Mary’s Valley and Wild Goose Island, a visual treat, places most visitors to Glacier National Park never see. The afternoon is at leisure with a final night to enjoy the charming lodge L
Day 4 - Empire Builder
A day of breathtaking scenery as we traverse the fabled 'Going to the Sun' Highway over the Continental Divide by red open-air ‘Jammer' bus, a stunning day. Later today, an afternoon cruise on shimmying Lake Mc Donald before we board the Empire Builder for an overnight trip to Seattle. BD
Day 5 - Seattle, WA
We arrive in Seattle after breakfast and transfer to the superbly located Mayflower Park Hotel to begin our two-day visit to the Emerald City. Acclaimed Pikes Market, the Monorail and the flagship Nordstrom store are right nearby and tonight is our welcome to Seattle dinner at Ivar's. D
Day 6 - Ship Embarkation
All morning to sleep in or further enjoy Seattle since we do not depart the hotel until 2pm for the nearby pier and our ship. At 4pm, the whistle sounds and we set sail for Alaska, the Great Land. Tonight, a special welcome aboard dinner awaits with new-found friends.
Day 7 - Cruising Inside Passage
All day to relax as we steam up the breathtaking inside passage. Normally, whales and eagles are common and this is a fine day to explore your superb ship. Tonight, our welcome cocktail party.
Day 8 - Juneau, Alaska
In Juneau you can drive, hike into or fly over the Mendenhall Glacier. Quite possibly the most beautiful state capital of all with Mt. Juneau and Mt. Roberts in the background. Shop in the historical district with buildings from the early 20th century.
Day 9 - Skagway, Alaska
Downtown Skagway offers a true sense of frontier, boomtown life. Hike to the 300 feet high Reid Falls from the cemetery in town. Also at Skagway is the fabled White Pass & Yukon Narrow-Gauge Railway, in our view, the best shore excursion in all of Alaska. The gateway to the Klondike retains its frontier style well.
Day 10 - Cruising Glacier Bay
John Muir was spellbound by Glacier Bay National Park and you will be too. All day is spent cruising over 100 miles in this stunning natural wonder
Day 11 - Ketchikan, Alaska
Ketchikan is just three miles long by three miles wide. Totem poles are on display at Totem Bight State Historical Park. Walk the old boardwalk along Ketchikan Creek in search of shops and cafes.
Day 12 - Victoria, British Columbia
Rudyard Kipling once described Victoria as "Brighton Pavilion with the Himalayas for a backdrop." See the majestic Parliament buildings followed by drinks in the Bengal Bar at the fabled Empress Hotel.
Day 13 - Seattle, Washington
We arrive in Seattle this morning and disembark with an afternoon departure aboard the Empire Builder for mid-West points. Seattle to the mid-West is a two night journey by train and guests can even ‘stop-over’ if they like. Transfer to station or airport for those flying is included. B
Upgrade to the best; Alaska with Holland AmericaLine
For the ultimate in classic Ocean cruising, guests may upgrade to Holland America Line, voted the 'best overall cruise value' by the World Ocean & Cruise Liner Society for 16 consecutive years. These elegant Dutch ships offer superb dining, an award-winning crew, abundant fresh flowers and luxury amenities such as 24-hour room service, world-class spas and much more. To enjoy this seven-day Alaska voyage on the elegant ms Westerdam is only $295.00 per person additional.
Empire Builder Upgrade Option
Guests may opt to upgrade to First Class sleeping car travel aboard the Empire Builder, which includes meals while aboard. Please call for pricing and availability at time of booking. Availability of sleeping car accommodations is limited and we strongly encourage that this be reserved at the time the program is booked since future availability cannot be assured.