Independent Amtrak Tours
Escorted Amtrak Tours
New England and Autumn Tours
Winter Escapes on Amtrak
Golden Gate Holiday is no longer offered. A variety of other spectacular train tours are available to see America by rail.
A visual feast with a daylight crossing of the Sierra Nevada Mountains over the fabled ‘Overland Route’ of the Union Pacific Railroad, the Napa Valley, San Francisco and Yosemite, all in one exquisite holiday.
Join us on an elegant and relaxing holiday that features a number of indulgent features in
one easy vacation: A private train over the original transcontinental Railroad with stunning scenery, two nights in the lovely Napa Valley and three nights in ‘Everybody’s favorite City, San Francisco’. With a leisurely pace, grand dining, magical sightseeing features like a trip aboard the Napa Valley Wine Train, a Bay cruise around Alcatraz, a cable car ride and much more, our Golden Gate Holiday is
missing only one thing. You. Prompt reservations are encouraged since only 30 lucky passengers can join us.
- Overnight stay in Salt Lake City at the Four-Diamond rated Little America Hotel, one of our favorite hotels in the American West. Since we do not board our train until late evening on day two, for maximum convenience, we have arranged for our guests to occupy their luxury accommodations until late evening on day two. A Salt Lake City tour is also included as is breakfast and a special welcome dinner.
- Travel from Salt Lake City to the San Francisco Bay Area aboard our own 1940’s era Vintage Streamliner train, the ‘Great Western Limited’ with all meals, wines & spirits while aboard. We have our own chef and stewards and this is a civilized way to travel with fine dining, fresh flowers and elegant surroundings. All guests enjoy sleeping car accommodations with all rooms having in-room facilities. Our route takes us over the original Transcontinental Railroad, the storied ‘Overland Route’ past Donner Lake and through the majestic High Sierra in daylight.
- Two night stay in the lovely Napa Valley at the luxurious River Terrace Inn overlooking the Napa River in downtown Napa with deluxe accommodations and breakfast daily. Also included is a luncheon journey aboard the famed Napa Valley Wine Train that includes a winery visit and tasting.
- Sightseeing tour to Sausalito with plenty of time to enjoy this picturesque town with its stunning view of San Francisco Bay and the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Four night hotel stay in San Francisco at the superbly located Hilton at Fisherman’s Wharf with plenty of free time to enjoy ‘Everybody’s Favorite City’. We have included a cable car ride and a Farewell Dinner at Fisherman’s Wharf.
- Full-day trip by train to Yosemite with tour of Valley floor including views of Half Dome, Bridal Veil Falls and more. This is a supremely comfortable way to do Yosemite, without packing and unpacking.
Day 1: Arrive Salt Lake City
Guests arrive in Salt Lake City and are transferred to the elegant Little America Hotel with the balance of the evening at leisure. The hotel is in the heart of downtown.
Day 2: Salt Lake City - The Great Western Limited
All morning to sleep in with a midday sightseeing tour of this lovely City with the afternoon at leisure with plenty of time for taking in the Mormon Temple and its fascinating museum. Tonight is our casual Welcome dinner at the Little America Hotel and since we do not depart until 10pm for the special train, our rooms are available for relaxing in until our 10pm departure. Upon boarding the train, we enjoy a second dessert as we roll west in great style over the Union Pacific
Railroad. Tonight, comfortable beds with soft pillows await. (B, D)
Day 3: The Napa Valley
Morning finds us passing through Reno and beginning our ascent of the Sierra Nevada Mountains with brunch served as we travel past Donner Lake. This is the storied route carved out of sheer rock by Chinese workers for the original Central Pacific Railroad and every mile is tinged with history of this epic achievement. Later today, we pass Sacramento and disembark in Martinez for the very short drive to Napa where luxury accommodations await at the River Terrace Inn. Evening at leisure. (B)
Day 4: The Napa Valley
We have left the morning free for you to explore quaint downtown Napa and at midday we board the famed Napa Valley Wine Train for a pretty ride through the Napa Valley with lunch en route in the elegant dining car before we stop for a winery tour, with tasting. We reboard the train and are back in Napa in late afternoon with a special dinner awaiting. Overnight at the River Terrace Inn. (B, L, D)
Day 5: Sausalito and San Francisco
Another magical day as we depart Napa and drive to San Francisco, stopping en route in enchanting Sausalito with time for lunch in this amazing setting. We arrive at the Hilton at Fisherman’s Wharf this afternoon with all evening free to enjoy ‘Everybody’s Favorite City’. We have intentionally left
the evening free. (B)
Day 6: San Francisco
An entire free day to enjoy the City by the Bay is perhaps the ultimate luxury and we have included two helpful ingredients for this, a cable car ride ‘Halfway to the Stars’ and a casual dinner tonight at a typical North Beach Italian restaurant. The rest of the day can be spent visiting Chinatown, Union Square for great shopping, the wonderfully redone Ferry Building or Alcatraz. Overnight at the Hilton. (D)
Day 7: Yosemite - San Francisco
One of the wonders of the world is Yosemite and words do not do justice to this extraordinary valley. While many tours offer an endless day by bus, our guests travel round-trip to Merced by train for the shorter scenic drive along the Merced River into Yosemite Valley where we enjoy a tour of the Valley floor including views of El Capital and Bridal Veil Falls. You will want to have your camera ready. We return to San Francisco quite late this evening. (B)
Day 8: San Francisco
Our final full day to enjoy San Francisco and we have included a bay cruise today that passes under the Golden Gate Bridge, a great opportunity for photos. We have left the afternoon at leisure, with time to perhaps visit the Palace of Fine Arts, the new Museum of Modern Art or the nearby Marina district. Tonight is our special Farewell Dinner overlooking the Bay. A final night at the Hilton. (D)
Day 9: Tour Ends
Guests depart for home today by air or train or may extend their holiday, even taking in Southern California if they like.