Independent Amtrak Tours
Escorted Amtrak Tours
New England and Autumn Tours
Winter Escapes on Amtrak
New Years at the Grand Canyon - 8 Day Tour
This is a truly special New Years holiday that features one of the most stunning places in all of North America to welcome the New Year, the magnificent Grand Canyon, in all of its pristine winter glory, without crowds and with brilliant sunlit days.
Call 877-929-7245 for rail fares and schedules to and from your city.
You will travel out to Arizona aboard the famous Southwest Chief train, from either Southern California or Chicago (whichever is closer), an overnight journey. Then Enjoy a ride on the historic Grand Canyon Railway right to the edge of the South Rim, overlooking the World's deepest chasm. You will ride in comfort and style in 'Club Class' over this historic, now restored after an almost 25-year gap, railway first build by the Santa Fe railroad in 1901, the ultimate way to arrive at this, a most magnificent example of the World seven wonders. You will enjoy two night's hotel stay right at the South Rim at the Bright Angel Lodge as well as optional New Year's Eve festivities.
After two nights at the Grand Canyon, you travel to Las Vegas for a three-night stay at the lavish Bellagio Hotel and Casino. With over eighteen restaurants, including famed Le Cirque, the Bellagio is one of the World's greatest resorts and offers the Bellagio Spa for additional pleasure. Even if one does not gamble, between elegant shops, the spa, dining, lounges, and more active choices such as golf, tennis, or swimming, the Bellagio is a superb choice to include in this holiday.
- Travel aboard the Southwest Chief train in coach accommodations from Southern California or Chicago, a one-night journey on this train that features full observation lounge and dining car service. Guests may opt to upgrade to sleeping car accommodations for this journey, details upon request.
- Special Welcome breakfast in historic Winslow, AZ at the beautifully restored La Posada Hotel, built by Fred Harvey for the Santa Fe Railroad along with a scenic drive through the Painted Desert en route to Williams, AZ.
- Overnight stay in Williams, AZ the evening of December 30th at the wonderfully restored Grand Canyon Hotel with dinner and breakfast the following morning.
- The Grand Canyon Railway right from the hotel in Williams to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, a stunningly beautiful trip at this time of the year.
- Two nights at the Bright Angel Lodge, located on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon with optional New Years Eve festivities and breakfast daily.
- Scenic coach drive from the Grand Canyon to Las Vegas via Laughlin on January 2nd
- Three-nights in luxury accommodations at the Five - Star Bellagio Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas in deluxe rooms. A city within a city Bellagio has over a dozen restaurants including branches of New York's famed Le Cirque and Michael Mina as well as the acclaimed Bellagio Spa.
- Special Farewell Dinner in Las Vegas at the justly acclaimed Lawry's The Prime Rib, simply the best prime rib dinner in America.
- Complimentary air travel back to Southern or Northern California or, for those guests who prefer not to fly, motorcoach travel to Los Angeles. Reduced rate return air travel is available to most major US Cities.
Day 1 - Southwest Chief to Arizona
Passengers depart Chicago this afternoon aboard the Southwest Chief. St. Louis and Kansas City departures are this evening as well. Guests also depart Los Angeles' Union Station tonight aboard the Southwest Chief bound for Arizona. Guests may also board in Orange County this evening. Dinner is served upon departure from Los Angeles and later tonight we ascend Cajon Pass.
Day 2 - Winslow, Arizona
Passengers from the West arrive in historic Winslow this morning at the wonderfully restored La Posada Hotel followed by a magical day that includes sightseeing through the hauntingly beautiful Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest, you will want to have your camera handy. Later today, an afternoon arrival at the Grand Canyon Hotel in Williams, AZ where a welcome dinner and overnight stay awaits in the Grand Canyon Hotel. (B,D)
Day 3 - The Grand Canyon
All Aboard! A wonderfully scenic ride awaits this morning as you depart right from the hotel aboard the Grand Canyon Railway bound for the Grand Canyon. This historic and fabled line was abandoned for decades and is now happily restored. The vintage train travels through forests of pine with a midday arrival just steps away from the South Rim. No matter how many times one has seen the Grand Canyon it never fails to inspire awe. We include a short sightseeing tour today, leaving the balance of the afternoon and evenin at leisure in this magnificent setting. Overnight at the Bright Angel Lodge at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. (B)
Day 4 - The Grand Canyon
You have all morning to sleep in and to take in the stunning vistas from your hotel on this, the first day of the New Year. The Grand Canyon is blessedly uncrowded at this time of the year offering plenty of time to further enjoy this stunning setting. You will have all day at leisure to relax, catch up with a new book or socialize. (B)
Day 5 - Las Vegas, Nevada
We depart after breakfast on the very scenic drive to a spectacular site of a different type, Las Vegas, with lovely scenery en route. You arrive at the Five-Diamond rated Bellagio Hotel this afternoon to begin our three-night stay. This evening is at your leisure to enjoy some of the great amenities of the Bellagio including over 18 restaurants and lounges to indulge in. (B)
Day 6 - Las Vegas, Nevada
You have all morning to sleep in before joining the group for a casual lunch at stylish P.F. Chang's China Bistro. We have left the afternoon at leisure for golf, tennis or taking in the Bellagio Spa. (L)
Day 7 - Las Vegas, Nevada
You have a final full day to enjoy all that Las Vegas has to offer: golf, great shopping or even gambling. Tonight is our special Farewell Dinner at Lawry's, the Prime Rib. (D)
Day 8 - Homeward Bound
Your holiday tour comes to a close this morning. Guests departing for Southern or Northern California points and for those guests who prefer to take a train home, we offer complimentary motorcoach transportation to Southern California. Or, you may elect to transfer on your own to the nearby Las Vegas airport for your return flight home. Regardless of direction, our passengers leave with newfound friends and memories and visual images to last a lifetime.
Meals (B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner)
Prices are land-only, per person based on double occupancy. Prices are correct at the time this web page is published; however, are subject to change.
This program price includes comfortable coach seat travel on Amtrak to this tour. Guests may opt, at additional cost, to upgrade to First Class sleeping car accommodations aboard Amtrak which also include meals while aboard. Fares vary depending on the number of people traveling and the type of accommodations chosen. We strongly encourage guests wishing to upgrade to sleeping car accommodations to do this at the time the holiday is booked since these accommodations are extremely limited and usually sell-out well before departure.