For years, guests have asked for an Autumn Holiday to the Flovely Ozark Mountains and we have finally designed a great way to do it, by vintage 1940's Streamliner train departing from Chicago and rolling over Illinois Central Railroad's storied 'Main Line of Mid- America' to Memphis.
In Memphis, three wonderful things await, the 'best breakfast in the South' at the famed Arcade Restaurant, a city tour with the acclaimed Memphis Jones, who will provide us with a live musical excursion through the 'Home of the Blues' that many guests rank as the highlight of their holiday and then, an overnight stay at the superb Doubletree Hotel, just 100 feet from enchanting Beale St.
We then travel to charming Eureka Springs, Arkansas for a blissful two-night stay in this picturesque village that includes a steam train ride through the Ozarks aboard the Eureka Springs & North Arkansas Railway.
Then its on to lovely Hot Springs, Arkansas, one of the most enchanting small towns in America with visits to Hot Springs National Park, an amphibious 'Duck' cruise on Lake Hamilton and of course, a visit to the soothing hot mineral springs that gave the town its fame in the 19th Century. Relaxing train travel from Hot Springs back to St. Louis and Chicago aboard the Texas Eagle train is also included making a perfect holiday at the ideal time of the year.
Our very own special feature . . .
By Special vintage train 'The Memphis Special' to Memphis, Eureka Springs, & Hot Springs, Arkansas
Is a unique feature exclusive to the guest of our tour. Includes comfortable seats, large windows, tasty light food service with wine & spirits. Simply indulgent!
Call 877-929-7245 for fares to and from Chicago, IL.
- Passage from Chicago to Memphis by vintage Streamliner train aboard our very own 'Memphis Special' complete with special round-end Observation Lounge Car, over the fabled Illinois Central Railroad, a short overnight journey.
- Full day and overnight in Memphis, home of the Blues including dinner at BB Kings, a music tour of Memphis by Backbeat Tours and accommodation at the superb Doubletree Hotel at Peabody Place.
- Two nights in picturesque Eureka Springs, Arkansas, the ultimate 19th Century 'spa town' where travelers used to 'take the waters' and you will too, since we have included the soothing mineral waters with a visit to the 19th century 'bath house' during our stay. Our guests enjoy two nights at the historic 1905 Basin Park Hotel, in the heart of downtown along with breakfast daily & welcome dinner. Most travelers regard Eureka Springs as one of the most scenic & enchanting Mountain locales in the country.
- Steam train through the Ozark Mountains aboard the Eureka Springs & North Arkansas Railway.
- Two-night stay in suite accommodations with breakfast and happy hour included daily in downtown Hot Springs along with sightseeing, a cruise by amphibious 'Duck' on Lake Hamilton and a visit to the famed hot springs.
- Visit to lovely Hot Springs National Park and a farewell dinner our last evening in Hot Springs.
- Return train travel from Hot Springs to St. Louis/Chicago aboard the Texas Eagle train over the Union Pacific Railroad, a swift overnight journey with comfortable reclining coach seating and a complete diner-lounge car.
- A professional tour host from start to finish.
You depart Union Station this evening at 8 pm aboard a vintage streamliner train, the 'Memphis Special' and upon departure, a welcome aboard party in the art deco Club Car is a highlight as we speed south over the Illinois Central Railroad. (R)
You arrive in Memphis this morning and just fifty feet from the historic station enjoy the famed Arcade Restaurant, known for the 'best breakfast in the south' to start your day off right. After breakfast, a city tour complete with 'Memphis Sound' music provided by the acclaimed 'Memphis Jones' as you tour the home of the Blues, before arriving at your hotel, the superbly located Doubletree Memphis Downtown at Peabody Place. A special welcome luncheon today at the legendary Rendezvous Barbeque Restaurant with the evening at leisure, free for exploring Beale St. and its many live music venues, just a one-minute from your hotel. (B, L)
Depart Memphis for Eureka Springs by coach. Eureka Springs is a magical village, nestled in the mountains and we begin your two-night stay at the historic Basin Park Hotel located in the heart of the village. Tonight is your welcome dinner, a nice chance to meet your fellow travelers. (B, D)
The day is yours to enjoy the formal lobby, Crystal Dining Room, Dr. Baker's Lounge and Recovery Deck, and of course the New Moon Spa and Salon, just a few of the in-hotel Eureka Springs attractions you will want to visit. Of course the Great Passion Play, as it looks across the Arkansas Ozark valley at the Crescent Hotel is a must see. This afternoon, a special treat, the steam train ride aboard the Eureka Springs & North Arkansas Railroad! (B, L)
After breakfast you depart on the scenic drive to lovely Hot Springs, Arkansas, with a stop at the Hot Springs Mountain Tower, 1256 feet tall for a view overlooking 140 miles of Arkansas including Hot Springs National Park and the Ouichita Mountains. Hot Springs is a jewel, with a beautifully restored downtown district including famed 'Bathhouse Row' which grew up around the healing waters that gave this town its fame in the 19th Century. Your hotel is superb, the Embassy Suites, in the heart of downtown, just a few minutes' walk from 'Bathhouse Row', offering a complimentary happy hour reception daily and much more. An evening at leisure has been planned for you to enjoy one of the many fine restaurants around your hotel. (B, L)
You have two wonderful things on the schedule today, both unique and unusual. The first, before lunch is a 75 minute tour of Hot Springs and Lake Hamilton aboard one of the 'Ducks', amphibious vehicles that drive you through Hot Springs and then roll into Lake Hamilton and around St. John Island and 'sail' you for a unique vantage point. This afternoon, a visit to the Buckstaff Bath House where a treatment in the soothing hot waters is included. The evening is at leisure. (B, L)
Today you will visit extraordinarily pretty Hot Springs National Park and you will want to have your camera handy since after Hot Springs National Park, you will visit Garvan Woodland Gardens, a lovely 210 acre botanical garden with waterfalls, springs, cascading streams, rose gardens and millions of flowers. The afternoon is left open, possibly for last minute shopping in the historic district (a favorite is the Dryden Pottery Factory with items of Arkansas Quartz) before your Farewell dinner later this evening. A bit later tonight, you board the Texas Eagle train for a comfortable and swift overnight passage to Chicago over the Union Pacific Railroad. (B, L, D)
The Texas Eagle passes by the Gateway Arch this morning before its short stop in St. Louis (with easy connections to Kansas City) and continues onto Chicago for a midday arrival downtown at Union Station.
Per Person Rates:
- $1,995 per person (double occupancy)
- $2,695 per person (single occupancy)
3rd/4th persons sharing a room pay $1,795 per person.
Call 877-929-7245 for fares to and from Chicago, IL.
B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner, R = Reception Dinner