This fall cruise 'upriver' (through multiple locks) is combined with two nights in Chicago at the start of the trip at the fabled Palmer House Hilton. Travel aboard the vintage Streamliner train, "The Steamboat Express", to St. Louis. You will board your cruise ship in St. Louis and make your way up the Mississippi to Minneapolis/St. Paul, the last town on this unique 11 night rail/cruise getaway.
- Complimentary train travel to Chicago from any US city when booked early. Guests with less time may take advantage of our special $99.00 airfare to Chicago when booking early.
- Fully hosted by professional tour manager from start to finish, to handle all of the details.
- Two night deluxe hotel stay Chicago’s fabled Palmer House Hilton, the most convenient location in town.
- Overnight accommodations at the Hilton at the Ballpark in St. Louis including full breakfast the next morning.
- St. Louis sightseeing tour before boarding the American Queen on sailing day including Forest Park, the Cathedral of St. Louis and the Missouri Botanical Gardens. There is even time to visit the famous Arch.
- Seven-night Steamboat cruise aboard the American Queen from St. Louis to St. Paul in cabin category chosen. Naturally, all meals & entertainment aboard are included.
- Minneapolis/St. Paul sightseeing tour and overnight hotel stay in St. Paul in Suite accommodations including Farewell Dinner and breakfast at the Embassy Suites.
- Special $99.00 train fare home to any US city.
Day 1 - Arrival in Chicago
Guests arrive in Chicago and check in to the fabled Palmer House Hilton and begin an indulgent two-night stay in this storied luxury hotel. Tonight is the special welcome reception. Overnight at the Palmer House.
Day 2 - Chicago Sight-Seeing
All day to enjoy everything Chicago has to offer with Navy Pier, Grant Park and ‘The Loop’ nearby. Guests have all day and evening to enjoy the Windy City. Tonight features a special welcome dinner. Overnight at the Palmer House Hotel.
Day 3 - Chicago to St. Louis
Depart the hotel and board a special train, the 'Steamboat Express' bound for St. Louis. En route, you will enjoy vintage interiors, big picture windows, an open bar and meal service as we roll south over the former Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroad. Upon arrival in St. Louis, you will transfer to the superbly located Hilton at the Ball Park.
Day 4 - St. Louis
All morning to sleep in or explore St. Louis at your own pace before and afternnon departure for a complete sightseeing tour of this historic city, taking in Forest Park, the lovely Cathedral of St. Louis guided by famed historian Nini Harris. Later that day, you board the American Queen docked right under the Arch. At 7pm the calliope plays, the big red paddlewheel turns and the Queen sets sail on your voyage of Discovery through America. That night there is also a welcome cocktail party as you steam up the mighty Mississippi.
Day 5 - Aboard the American Queen
The perfect morning to sleep in since all day is spent Steamboating up the Mississippi with time to catch up with a new book, fly a kite or simply relax on with an ice-cold lemonade watching passing towns drift by.
Day 6 - Hannibal, MO
Was ever a town more linked with Steamboating and Mark Twain than Hannibal, Missouri, the port of call today? There is even a chance to explore the famous Cave Mark Twain vividly described during our visit.
Day 7 - Aboard the American Queen
On the River All day steamboating past some of the prettiest scenery in America as the steam calliope toots and entire towns turn out to witness the American Queen's passing. Today is the famous ‘Southern picnic’ with platters of fried chicken, baked ham, gumbo, mud pie and other Southern specialties.
Day 8 - Dubuque
Dubuque, IA with its antique stores and Victorian buildings welcomes us today and we have included a very special visit to wonderful Galena, Illinois, an excursion offered only to our guests, since the boat does not make this available at all, with our compliments!
Day 9 - La Crosse
La Crosse Picturesque La Crosse, WI with its great collection of Frank Lloyd Wright homes, lovely riverfront, small shops (including one of the best cheese stores in the country) welcomes us today.
Day 10 - Red Wing
Historic Red Wing, MN with its quaint downtown center, 19th century storefronts and very busy railroad mainline is our final port of call today and later tonight, the Captains Farewell Dinner.
Day 11 - St. Paul
We disembark in St. Paul and enjoy a city sightseeing tour of the Twin Cities before our arrival at the Embassy Suites. Later tonight, our special Farewell Dinner.
Day 12 - Minneapolis/St. Paul
Journey Home! Guests return home by air or train today. or may travel back to Chicago by train.