Join us on a journey from downtown Chicago to the jungles of Central America by Classic Streamliner train and Norwegian liner! Our vintage streamliner train 'The British West Indies Express' will convey our guests from the Windy City to New Orleans over the Illinois Central Railroad with a visit and overnight stay in historic Memphis on the way. Then an overnight in New Orleans before the centerpiece of our holiday, passage by ship to exotic Belize, formerly British Honduras, one of the most fascinating places on earth. With the second longest barrier reef in the world, lush jungles filled with jaguars, ocelots and wild monkeys, Belize is a place of stunning natural beauty, famed for its breathtaking Mayan ruins at Altun-Ha. During our port call in Belize City, there is time to tour these magnificent Mayan ruins, a 'must-see' sight for any traveler. Happily, Belize is not the only exotic port of call on our passage from New Orleans, we also visit Costa Maya in Mexico's Yucatan, popular Cozumel and a lovely port, seldom-visited, Santo Tomas de Castilla in Guatemala. At Santo Tomas, there is a fantastic shore excursion to Quirigua and its Mayan monuments.
Of course, any good holiday should couple remarkable scenery with superb comfort and this holiday does this nicely. Our vintage streamliner train offers a swank art deco round-end observation 'Club Car' with an open bar and what better way to begin a vacation than with complimentary cocktails at ninety miles per hour without the hassle of airport check-ins. In New Orleans, our guests enjoy an overnight First Class hotel stay with breakfast daily, a French Quarter sightseeing tour and, of course, a visit to famed Cafe du Monde for the best cafe au lait and beignets in the World. Our ship, the ms Norwegian Spirit features 11 restaurants, 11 bars & lounges, an excellent spa and fitness center, a casino and acres of open deck space. Because Norwegian Cruise Line operates 'Freestyle Cruising' you may dine when you like, where you like, with whom you like, there is no required dress code and a level of personal choice on how you enjoy your vacation is offered,
Call 877-929-7245 for fares to and from Chicago, IL.
- Classic streamliner train travel aboard the private 'British West Indies Express' from Chicago to Memphis and then from New Orleans to Chicago after the cruise, an overnight journey over the storied Illinois Central Railroad in each direction. There is a club car to enjoy and all meals, wines &spirits while aboard are included. Guests enjoy reclining 'Sleeperette' seating (similar to Business class on an international flight) and for those desiring even greater comfort, sleeping Car accommodations are available at additional cost.
- Memphis sightseeing tour with the acclaimed 'Memphis Jones' and live music entertainment as we tour the home of the Blues. We also enjoy breakfast at the storied 'Arcade' Restaurant and have time to see the famous 'Duck March' at the Peabody Hotel during our time in Memphis. Overnight accommodations at the excellent Doubletree Hotel in Memphis along with welcome dinner at the famed Rendezvous Barbeque.
- Coach train travel from Memphis to New Orleans aboard the City of New Orleans, a short day-trip.
- An overnight stay in the French Quarter with sightseeing tour and visit to Café du Monde before we sail. We have intentionally left large blocks of free time for you to enjoy 'The Crescent City'.
- 7-night West Indies cruise round- trip from New Orleans aboard the Norwegian Spirit. Naturally, all meals & entertainment are included.
- Hosted by professional tour manager with special cocktail parties & events throughout.
Day 1 - Depart Chicago's Union Station
Leave Chicago at 9:00 pm on the "British West Indies Express." Overnight train. (R)
Day 2 - Memphis, Tennessee
Arrive in Memphis. Highlights of your will day will include breakfast at the famous Arcade Restaurant and Backbeat Tours of Memphis with the famed Memphis Jones. Dinner tonight will be at the fabled Rendezvous Barbeque Restaurant. Overnight Doubletree Hotel at Peabody Place. (B, D)
Day 3 - New Orleans, Louisiana
This morning depart from Memphis by train aboard the City of New Orleans. Arrive in New Orleans this afternoon with the remainder of the day at your leisure. Overnight Hilton Riverwalk. (B)
Day 4 - The ms Norwegian Spirit
Embark on a morning tour of the French Quarter with a stop at the delectable Café du Monde. This afternoon transfer to the cruise terminal and prepare for your sailing aboard the Norwegian Spirit bound for British Honduras. This evening enjoy a welcome cocktail party aboard the ship. Overnight ship. (B, D)
Day 5 - At Sea
The entire day is at your leisure to sleep in, soak up the sun or enjoy the amenities of this remarkable new ship. Overnight ship. (B, L, D)
Day 6 - Costa Maya, Mexico
Today's port of call takes you to Costa Maya, Mexico's beautiful cioast town with friendly locals. Overnight ship. (B, L, D)
Day 7 - Santa Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala
Your port of call today finds you at the rarely visited and amazingly beautiful Santa Tomas de Castilla in Guatemala. Overnight ship. (B, L, D)
Day 8 - Belize City, Belize (British Honduras)
The fascinating, raffish colonial Belize City, Belize is your port of call today with an optional excursion to the nearby barrier reef, the second largest in the world after Australia. Overnight ship. (B, L, D)
Day 9 - Cozumel, Mexico
Cozumel, the popular vacation destination with its nearby Mayan ruins. is today's port of call. Overnight ship. (B, L, D)
Day 10 - At Sea
You have a final day at sea to relax and enjoy ocean travel and the many amenities aboard the ship. Overnight ship. (B, L, D)
Day 11 - New Orleans, Louisiana
After breakfast this morning, disembark the ship in New Orleans and enjoy free time in Jackson Square until your late afternoon departure for Chicago aboard your special train begins the final leg of your journey home. Overnight train. (B)
Day 12 - Chicago, Illinois
The train arrives in Chicago at 9:00 am with easy, same-day connections for all Midwest points or at nearby Midway airport. (B)
Per Person Rates:
- April 8 - 19, 2011
- November 11 - 22, 2011
- December 29, 2011 - January 10, 2012*
|Economy Inside Stateroom
|Inside Twin Stateroom
*Itinerary varies slightly for December 29 departure allowing for an extra night in New Orleans. Ask your Vacations By Rail travel specialist for details.
Single inside fares begin at $2,495. Single outside fares begin at $2,995.
Port taxes are $210. per person.
B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner
Call 877-929-7245 for fares to and from Chicago