Spectacular South of France River Cruise
Let the romantic nature and the beauty of the South of France envelope you on a trip from Paris to Nice.
Rolling lavender fields, traditional hilltop villages and the splendor of the Mediterranean await as we wind through France on this adventure. Our journey begins in Paris, and from here, we travel south along the Saône and Rhône Rivers to our final port of call in Tarascon. All sailing is done during the daylight hours, which means you never miss the spectacular scenery this region has to offer, and there is plenty of time for both relaxation and exploration: The perfect recipe for a cruise to remember.
Additional cabin categories available on request. Speak with your Rail and Cruise Specialist for more details.
Highlights and Inclusions
- High-speed TGV train ride from Paris to Dijon
- One night hotel accommodation in Paris
- Visit to Les Hospices de Beaune
- Château de Cormatin experience
- Visit to Lyon - the gastronomic heart of France
- Visit to Tournon Castle
- Private organ recital in Viviers
- Wine tasting at a Côtes du Rhône vineyard
- Dinner gala and classic concert at the Pope's Palace of Avignon
- Airport transfer
Ship and Stateroom Inclusions:
- 12 nights on onboard accommodations
- 36 delicious meals: 13 breakfasts, 11 lunches and 12 dinners
- Daytime sailing only
- Private butler service for all guests
- All tips and gratuities
- Complimentary Wi-Fi Internet on the ship
- Interactive commentary as we cruise
- Use of the Sun Lounge
Day 1 - Fly to Paris
Travel today on your transatlantic flight to Paris, France. (International flight not included in fare.)
Day 2 - Paris
Celebrate the start of your holiday at this evening’s welcome reception and relax at one of our luxurious city central hotels.
Day 3 - Chalon-sur-Saône
Traverse the Île de France countryside on the TGV train to Dijon, known for its famous mustard exports. Enjoy an orientation tour and time at leisure before transferring to Chalon-sur-Saône where your friendly crew await to welcome you on board your luxurious ship. (B, D)
Day 4 - Chalon-sur-Saône to Tournus
After breakfast this morning, the excitement begins with a trip to Beaune. Explore Beaune, including a visit to Les Hospices de Beaune. Alternatively, visit the estate of Château Meursault and taste some of the acclaimed wines from this premium estate located in the heart of the Burgundy region.
We reboard the ship, make way to Tournus and dock for the evening. Overnight ship. (B, L, D)
Day 5 - Tournus to Mâcon
Colorful gardens and tranquil water features lie ahead at the beautiful Château de Cormatin this morning. Inside, 17th century apartments, a grand staircase and a filled library send you back to a time of yesteryear. Later, walk around some of the quaint villages that surround Tournus to see the historic buildings and to sample some of the French truffles the country is known for. As we return to ship this afternoon, check out the beauty of the Saône River as we set sail for Mâcon. Those travelers looking for a little more excitement have the opportunity to follow an experienced guide on a bicycle route from Tournus to our port for the night, Mâcon. Overnight ship. (B, L, D)
Day 6 - Mâcon
Mâcon, a town riddled with history, culture and picturesque farm scenery, awaits today. Sample some of the regions famous Burgundy wines or Bresse chicken dishes before setting off on your Freechoice Excursion for the day:
1) Enjoy a lush natural setting and interesting exhibits at the Bresse Museum. Learn more about life in this region in years long-passed, about local food and much more.
2) Make your way over to the Beaujolais region for a day of vineyards and delicious locally produced wine. Taste your way through the area before heading back to the ship.
3) Visit the town of Cluny that dates back to the 900s. Charm is abundant in Cluny, and this town, which was built around the Benedictine Abbey, has a great art presence. Explore everything this Romanesque village has to offer during your excursion. Overnight ship. (B, L, D)
Day 7 - Lyon
Today's port of call is Lyon, a town that is often referred to as the gastronomic heart of France thanks to its excellent cuisine offerings. You are free to explore the town using one of several Freechoice options:
1) Get an insider's look at the secret passageways, traboules and more that lie throughout Lyon on this fascinating tour. These ancient pathways wind through the oldest parts of the town. After, see Lyon from a different vantage point - above - from the Notre Dame Basilica.
2) Visit the walled hilltop town of Pérouges. Beautiful old stone buildings meet Medieval gates, cobbled streets and ancient structures to transport you back in time. Catch glimpses of the Ain River as you stroll through the village.
3) Tour the culinary school of Paul Bocuse as your final option. Learn about traditional French cooking techniques, sample fantastic dishes and enjoy great demonstrations during your time at the school.
This afternoon and evening are yours to explore Lyon at your own pace. The botanical gardens and zoo are popular modern attractions within the city; however, there are also plenty of ancient sites to enthrall history buffs. After dinner, consider an evening stroll through town to take in the unique ambiance Lyon has to offer. Overnight ship. (B, L, D)
Day 8 - Tournon
Cruising from Lyon, take in the picturesque riverside panoramas as you glide effortlessly toward Tournon. If you are feeling more active you have the opportunity to cycle from Andance to Tournon. On arrival, enjoy a fun lecture on the French paradox and etiquette. Later, the group makes its way to Tournon Castle for an enchanting evening overlooking the Rhône River. The vast history of the ancient stone castle is apparent as you walk through to the terrace. Here, enjoy an afternoon cocktail with your fellow travelers as you are serenaded by talented local musicians. Overnight ship. (B, L, D)
Day 9 - Tournon to Viviers
Set out for your tour on a Freechoice adventure after breakfast on the ship this morning:
1) Make your way back to Tournon Castle for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to taste wine in the castle's wine cave. Sample some of the region's most delectable offerings while once again soaking up the ambiance of the castle.
2) Walk through the town of Tain l'Hermitage with the guidance of a local expert. The town includes a beautifully restored Medieval home, as well as a wealth of wine-related offerings. The tour concludes with an organized tasting at Valrhona Chocolates, which is world-famous for its gourmet delicacies.
3) Pedal your way through the quaint villages that make this region of France so charming with the final Freechoice option. Your guide follows a pathway along the Rhône River, and because the ride is at a comfortable, leisurely pace, there is plenty of time to gawk at the surroundings.
This afternoon, return to the ship for a relaxing cruise to our destination for the night, Viviers. Overnight ship. (B, L, D)
Day 10 - Viviers to Châteauneuf-du-Pape
Enjoy a scrumptious breakfast onboard before setting off for a walking tour of Viviers this morning. Meander through the streets of the historic town en route to the town's cathedral for an inspiring organ recital. Freechoice options follow the experience:
1) Get in touch with the natural side of the area with an in-depth exploration of Ardèche National Park. Walk through the serene area before heading to the Caverne du Pont-d'Arc Museum, which houses one of the largest replica decorated caves in the world.
2) Delight your eyes and your nose with a visit to the Lavender Museum. Learn about the traditional harvesting and processing methods, as well as the various uses for the plant. A 10-minute audiovisual presentation completes the tour.
3) Succumb to your adventurous side, and canoe through one of Europe's natural canyons.
4) Journey to the town of Grignan for a look at a magnificent Renaissance castle, 17th century architecture, local markets and much more.
Reboard the ship for an evening journey to Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Overnight ship. (B, L, D)
Day 11 - Châteauneuf-du-Pape to Avignon
Today's adventures begin in the town of Châteauneuf-du-Pape at a Côtes du Rhône vineyard where you can sample the celebrated wines or take a guided hike through the vines. These tours allow you to make the most of your time in this scenic destination, which is known for its wine. Once your tours conclude, head back to the ship for a relaxing afternoon of cruising. Enjoy the panoramas from the Sun Deck or the numerous onboard amenities as we sail to Avignon. As the ship docks, disembark for a guided tour of the city, which concludes at the Popes' Palace. Together, we tour the 14th century structure and learn more about a time when there were two popes. Overnight ship. (B, L, D)
Day 12 - Avignon
The day is yours to explore Avignon using the provided Freechoice Excursions:
1) Visit the colorful and lively Luberon region of France today. Tour some of the charming hilltop villages, such as Gordes, Bonnieux, Roussillon, and learn why this area inspired some of the world's most famous artists.
2) Take an excursion to the town of Uzès, a place where beautiful old buildings meet the lush greenery of the surrounding area. The tour leads you to Pont du Gard. Marvel at the impressive Roman aqueduct bridge - a UNESCO World Heritage Site - as you look over the Gardon River.
3) Partake in an informative "Shop With a Chef" excursion to one of the area's local markets. Foods and dishes unique to the region are highlighted, and of course there are ample opportunities for tastings.
This afternoon is at your leisure before we head to the Pope's Palace of Avignon this evening. After the doors of the palace close to the public for the day, Scenic guests are invited a scrumptious gala dinner on the premises. A moving classical music performance follows in the palace's famous Grand Tinsel room. Overnight ship. (B, L, D)
Day 13 - La Camarague
As we arrive in La Camarague this morning, you have several opportunities to take advantage of the sites and scenery of La Camargue National Park area:
1) Soak up the sun in the seaside resort town of Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer. Long, open beaches and Mediterranean scenery provide the perfect atmosphere for relaxation and exploration.
2) Check out Parc Ornithologique, a .25-square mile bird park filled with flamingos, sparrows and myriad other bird species. Bring along your binoculars for the best spotting opportunities.
3) Visit the Salins of the Petite Camargue before heading to the French commune of Aigues-Mortes. Walk along the ancient rectilinear streets, gaze up at the 13th century stone wall and tour the ancient military structures of the town.
This afternoon, we cruise to Tarascon. Soak up the breathtaking Mediterranean scenery from the Sun Deck of the ship, or enjoy a live music performance by one of the region's famous gypsy bands as we sail along the river towards the sea. Overnight ship. (B, L, D)
Day 14 - Tarascon
Our final port of call, Tarascon, is on the itinerary today. Enjoy the town's unique Medieval character on your Freechoice adventures for the day:
1) Journey over to the city of Arles for a glimpse at the city's Roman past and the colorful houses that inspired artists, such as Van Gogh. The ancient Arles Arena is a true highlight of the trip.
2) Meander up the hilltop to Les Baux, which is known as one of the "most beautiful villages in France." From historic buildings to modern amenities, this village offers something for everyone.
3) Venture over to St. Rémy for a look at the Gallo-Roman interior of the city, the ancient surrounding wall and the Saint-Paul-de-Mausole Monastery, where Van Gogh was held.
4) Discover more about the region's main crops, lavender and olives, with a tour of a local farm. Learn about the growing and harvesting processes with the smell of fresh lavender lingering in the air. Overnight ship. (B, L, D)
Day 15 - Tarascon to Nice - End of Trip
Delight in one final breakfast aboard your ship before being transferred to Nice Airport by a tour Representative. Please schedule all flights for after 1 p.m. Your journey comes to a close as you disembark the ship. (B)
Dates & Prices
Select from the packages below to view prices for this tour.
|29th June 2019||$10,040||Book Now|
|27th July 2019||$9,940||Book Now|
|10th August 2019||$9,940||Book Now|
|7th September 2019||$10,140||Book Now|
|19th October 2019||$9,340||Book Now|
|10th August 2019||$12,240||Book Now|
|19th October 2019||$11,640||Book Now|
|19th October 2019||$10,240||Book Now|
|19th October 2019||$7,545||Book Now|
Please enter the child's age.
Please enter the children's ages.
Please enter the children's ages.
Please enter the children's ages.
C - Balcony Suite: Departs 29th June 2019 ($10,040), 27th July 2019 ($9,940), 10th August 2019 ($9,940), 7th September 2019 ($10,140), 19th October 2019 ($9,340)
RS - Royal Panorama Suite: Departs 10th August 2019 ($12,240), 19th October 2019 ($11,640)
BJ - Junior Suite: Departs 19th October 2019 ($10,240)
E - Stateroom: Departs 19th October 2019 ($7,545)
Register for Free Notification of 2020 Dates & Prices
Enter your details below if you would like to be notified when 2020 dates and prices are available for Spectacular South of France River Cruise.