When you experience the Fall Foliage season by rail, you’re getting an up-close and personal view of the vibrant yellow, orange, and red hues on full display. There’s no better way to combine these beautiful views than with charming destinations, thrilling sightseeing, and memories that will last you a lifetime. Here are some of the top vacations where you can see the beautiful Fall Foliage.
1. Autumn Tour in New England: Take 8 days to immerse yourself in the beautiful palette of reds, oranges, and yellows as you journey your way through New England in the fall. Beginning in Boston, this trip gives you not one, but three ways to best see the fall foliage on multiple railways, including the Cape Cod Central Railroad, the Green Mountain Flyer Scenic Railroad, and the Conway Scenic Railroad.
2. Fall Colors of New England, Quebec, & Montreal: On this 11-day adventure, you’ll see the best of two countries, boasting their fall colors. Visit four New England states aboard two scenic rail excursions: Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad, and Mt. Washington Cog Railway before traveling across the border to Canada and traveling through two of its iconic cities aboard VIA Rail’s Corridor Service.
3. Great Lakes & Trains featuring the Grand Hotel: Immerse yourself in the beauty of the Midwest and Canada on this incredible 11-day adventure. With a scenic rail excursion to Wisconsin, watch as the natural landscapes of autumn foliage and sparkling blue waters unfold. Among this full-day tour, take a couple of nights in Mackinac Island resting in the historic Grand Hotel. Another highlight is the scenic rail journey aboard the Agawa Canyon Tour Train, taking you among the scenery of Ontario.
4. Smoky Mountain Rail Adventure: Get your fill of one of a kind southern culture and scenery in the autumn. This 9-day tour takes you to Tennessee and North Carolina aboard three scenic rail excursions, offering the perfect views of the famed Smokey Mountains. Revel in the natural landscapes of the iconic national park, among other highlights in the tour, including a show and a backstage tour of the Grand Ole Opry, an excursion through the Biltmore Estate, and more.
5. Quebec & Eastern Ontario Explorer: Explore Canada’s Eastern province on this 12-day tour. You’ll get the best of both worlds: Canada’s coastal cities as well as the natural landscapes of its scenic countryside. Hop aboard two scenic railways: VIA Rail’s Corridor Service and the Train de Charlevoix for up-close views and awe-inspiring sights of authentic Canada. In between journeys, explore iconic destinations such as Quebec City and Montreal, known for their European influence and lovingly preserved history and culture.
6. Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta By Rail: Immerse yourself in gorgeous autumn colors and witness one of the most exciting events of the year: The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. This 9-day tour takes you to 3 southwestern states, Utah, New Mexico, and Colorado, to celebrate the season. Take a trip on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad for a beautiful look at the Colorado Rocky Mountains, tour two national parks, and see the authentic Southwest before wrapping up your time among vibrantly colored hot air balloons at the Balloon Fiesta.
7. First Class Heritage Rail of Colorado: Enjoy some of Colorado’s impressive scenery in first-class comfort and a small tour group environment. This 9-day tour takes you on multiple excursions aboard four scenic railways, all displaying the season’s best colors. Watch the Rocky Mountains pass you by as you ride on the Georgetown Loop Railway in its luxurious Parlor Car, the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad in the Silver Vista Car, the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad in its Premium Parlor Car and the Royal Gorge Route Railroad, including a 3-course meal in an elegant Parlor Car. Each excursion offers panoramic viewing windows, comfortable accommodations, and more to make your Colorado adventure one you’ll never forget.
Your next autumn vacation awaits, all with unique itineraries and rail excursions. From New England to Colorado and all the way up to Canada, there’s plenty of opportunity to see the incredible fall colors, all you have to do is choose the destination.