Train vacations are a great family-friendly getaway any time of the year. With a whole train to explore, built-in meals and accommodations, and someone else to do the “driving,” they’re budget-friendly, efficient, and most important, fun! Following are some of our favorite rail vacations offering something for the whole family
1. Grand Canyon Rails to the Rim Adventure: Visit one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World—also one of the United States’ most popular national parks—by train including roundtrip travel aboard the vintage Grand Canyon Railway complete with onboard entertainment that will engage every family member. Departures are also available from Los Angeles
2. Southwest Chief & the Grand Canyon: It’s hard to pick one exceptional highlight of this vacation because there are so many: a classic overnight rail journey, roundtrip travel on the vintage Grand Canyon Railway, sightseeing and an overnight stay at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, and a stay in sunny Los Angeles.
3. California Zephyr with Yellowstone: Turn the family road trip into the family rail-drive adventure! Enjoy the best of rail travel across America’s western frontier interspersed with an at-leisure drive to America’s first national park, Yellowstone, and a 3-night stay to explore all of its natural wonders before continuing by train to scenic San Francisco.
4. Empire Builder with Glacier National Park: Discover the natural beauty and scenic wonders of one of America’s best-loved National Parks, Glacier, on a rail journey into Big Sky Country. The highlight of this classic journey from Chicago to Seattle is a 4-night visit to Glacier National Park complete with stays in historic lodges and spectacular sightseeing including a journey along the Going-to-the-Sun Road aboard vintage red Jammer buses. Itinerary is available in reverse and roundtrip Chicago and roundtrip Seattle.
5. Canadian Rockies By Rail: The Canadian Rockies are a veritable playground filled with equal parts relaxation and outdoor adventures. Visit three of the region’s must-see destinations—Jasper National Park, Banff National Park, and Lake Louise—on this memorable rail trip that also includes a stay in the coastal city of Vancouver.